Long days and balmy evenings call for light meals and summery flavours
FOR THE GRILLED FRUIT
- 80ml honey
- 1 small orange, zest and juice
- 40g butter
- 3ml vanilla extract
- 5 ripe nectarines or peaches, stoned and thickly sliced
FOR THE FILLING
- 250ml mascarpone, softened
- to room temperature
- 45ml icing sugar
- 2ml almond essence
- 30g pistachio nuts, very finely chopped
- 250ml fresh cream, whipped
- 1 large meringue shell
- 15ml mint, chopped (optional)
- 30g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- To make the grilled fruit, melt the honey, orange zest and juice, butter and vanilla extract in a small pan over medium heat. Reserve a little zest for serving.
- Remove from the heat and brush the nectarine slices with half the mixture.
- Grill the fruit slices on a hot braai, ina griddle pan or roast them in the oven at 180°C for 15–20 minutes until tender but still firm.
- Allow to cool and reserve the remaining sauce until ready to serve.
- To make the filling, place the mascarpone, icing sugar, almond essence and finely chopped pistachio nuts in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Fold in the whipped cream. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the meringue shell on a serving platter. Spoon the cream filling into the base of the pavlova shell.
- Top the meringue with the grilled fruit and drizzle the remaining sauce over the top. Scatter over the mint, reserved zest and the pistachios nuts, and serve at once.