Last updated on 23 November 2018
Put a spin on your traditional Christmas menu with this easy to make ice-cream cake from The Classic South Africa Cookbook, by Melinda Roodt, R230, (Struik Lifestyle)
- 2 litres vanilla ice cream, slightly thawed
- 100g red glacé cherries
- 100g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 360g can caramel treat
- 2 litres chocolate ice cream, slightly thawed
- 40g Cadbury Crunchie® chocolate bar, cut into
- 1cm pieces
- 250ml chocolate chips
- 200g packet Bakers
- Choc-kits® biscuits
- 200g milk chocolate, chopped
- 125g chocolate malted puffs
- 32g Cadbury Flake® chocolate bar
- Line a 12 x 30 cm loaf tin with cling wrap.
2. Place the vanilla ice cream into a large mixing bowl.
3. Halve three-quarters of the cherries, leaving the remainder whole.
4. Mix the chopped cherries and pecan nuts into the vanilla ice cream.
5. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and press down evenly.
6. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
7. Stir the caramel in the can and then spoon a layer onto the ice-cream mixture.
8. Freeze for another 10 minutes.
9. Place the chocolate ice cream into a large, clean mixing bowl.
10. Mix the Crunchie® and chocolate chips into the chocolate ice cream.
11. Spoon the chocolate ice-cream mixture into the loaf tin, press down evenly, and top with another layer of caramel, being sure to leave enough room for a layer of biscuits.
12. Freeze for another 10 minutes.
13. Roughly crush the Choc-kits® into coarse crumbs and evenly spread over the top of the ice-cream cake. Press down firmly with a spatula or egg lifter and cover the tin with cling wrap.
14. Return to the freezer until completely frozen.
15. Melt the milk chocolate in a bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.
16. Remove the tin from the freezer and unwrap the cling wrap. Gently turn out the ice-cream cake onto a large rectangular serving plate and remove the cling wrap from the base.
17. Drizzle the slightly cooled chocolate over the cake and decorate with the whole glacé cherries and chocolate malted puffs. Crumble the Flake® over the top.
18. Freeze for 5 minutes before serving.
19. Cut into 1-cm-thick slices and serve.