“The Baking Book” from Your Family, R275, is a collection of favourite South African recipes. Try these fail-safe treats
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g butter, softened
- 210ml castor sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 140ml cake flour
- 30ml cocoa powder
- 100g pecan nuts, chopped
- 250ml marshmallows, chopped
- 100g glacé cherries, chopped
- pinch salt
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base of a 25cm x 20cm rectangular cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa and fold into the egg mixture. Fold in the chocolate, nuts, marshmallows, cherries and salt. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 20–25 minutes until a testing skewer comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. Serve warm with ice cream or leave to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
Tip: Substitute pecans with nuts of your choice. A combination of dried fruit also works really well.
(This recipe serves 8 people)