Last updated on 30 September 2016
Influenced by her famous food and wine-loving family, Tanja von Arnim, Marketing Manager of Delaire Graff Estate (delaire.co.za), relishes cooking relaxed dinners at home for her friends
- 2–3T apricot jam
- 50g butter, softened
- 12 slices of panettone (about 1cm thick)
- 1–2T ground cinnamon
- 150g brown sugar
- 500ml full cream milk
- 120ml double cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 vanilla pods, seeds scraped out
- 100g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g raspberries
- demerara sugar, for topping
- additional raspberries, vanilla ice cream and icing sugar, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly butter an 18 x 23cm baking dish.
- Heat the apricot jam in a pan over a low heat until it’s melted; remove and set aside.
- Butter the slices of panettone on one side, place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix about 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar together and sprinkle into the buttered serving dish. Pour over the melted jam, reserving a small amount for glazing at the end.
- Whisk the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla seeds, another teaspoon of the cinnamon and the remaining brown sugar together and pour half of this custard mixture all over the bread. When this has soaked in slightly, arrange the bread in the serving dish in layers with the white chocolate and raspberries so the pieces of bread are overlapping; continue layering until all the bread has been used. Pour over the rest of the custard mix and scatter the demerara sugar and a light dusting of the remaining cinnamon over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Brush the pudding with melted apricot jam and serve immediately with fresh raspberries for colour, vanilla ice cream and a dusting of icing sugar.
This recipe serves 6-8 people
RECIPE: TANJA VON ARNIM