Heike Taschner-Jeske of Spiced Coffee Restaurant (ludwigroses.co.za) devised this special, rose-themed menu to celebrate the launch of event planner Otto de Jager’s namesake rose
- 330ml fresh cream
- 15ml castor sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 200g white chocolate, broken into small blocks
- 3 eggs, separated
- 30ml rosewater
- Turkish delight and candied rose petals, to serve
1. Whip 250ml of the cream and the castor sugar together until soft peaks form. Chill until required.
2. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Combine the vanilla pod and seeds, the rest of the cream and the white chocolate in a double boiler and stir over the heat until the chocolate has just melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Whisk the egg yolks until pale yellow and frothy, then stir them into the chocolate mixture. Remove the vanilla pod.
4. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. Fold the whipped cream and rosewater into the chocolate mixture, then carefully fold in the egg whites.
6. Spoon the mousse into small pudding bowls or glasses (I used vintage tea cups) and chill for at least 3 hours or until set.
7. Serve with cubes of Turkish delight and candied rose petals.
This recipe serves 4–8 depending on the size of the individual pudding bowls.