Architectural designers Evi and Jochim Elsner of Home Concept Interiors (084 666 8881) prefer serving uncomplicated meals so that they can spend time with their friends out on their deck instead of in the kitchen
- 5 free-range egg yolks
- 5T sugar
- 500ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- fresh strawberries, to serve
1. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar until light and thick, adding only a little bit of sugar at a time. Mix until the sugar is completely absorbed and the mixture is almost white.
2. Heat the cream together with the vanilla pod over a low heat. Don’t allow it to boil. Then remove the vanilla pod, cut it open and scrape the seeds into the cream. Add the hot cream slowly to the egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Return it to the pot and, on a gentle heat, warm until hot and thick, but again don’t let it boil.
3. Leave the mixture to cool down before freezing it in an ice cream maker. If you don’t have one, you can also put it straight into the freezer; because of the egg yolks you won’t get ice crystals.
4. Serve with fresh strawberries.
This recipe serves 6.