For the ginger biscuit ice cream:
- 500ml fresh cream
- 2ml ground ginger
- 60ml castor sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3ml vanilla paste
- 200g ginger biscuits, crushed into a coarse crumble
For the cranberry and orange jelly:
- 500ml clear apple juice
- 50g gelatine powder
- 500ml cranberry juice
- 500ml orange juice
- 500ml pomegranate juice
- 100g dried cranberries
To make the ice cream:
1. Heat the cream in a pot, add the ground ginger, and remove from the heat just before boiling.
2. In an electric mixer, whisk the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla paste until thick and pale yellow (about 5 minutes). Pour the warm cream into the egg mixture while whisking slowly for about 2 minutes.
3. Return the mixture to the pot and heat slowly while stirring continuously. Remove from the heat once the mixture coats the back of a spoon, but before it begins to boil.
4. Transfer to a metal bowl and immerse in an ice bath to stop it cooking any further. Stir occasionally until it has cooled (about 15 minutes), then stir in half the ginger biscuit crumbs.
5. Transfer it to an ice cream machine and churn. Add the remaining biscuit crumbs before the ice cream freezes. Store in the freezer until needed.
To make the jelly:
1. Spray a 2 litre-capacity silicone ring mould with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Pour the apple juice into a medium saucepan and heat gently. When it comes to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Sprinkle 25g gelatine into the hot, but not boiling, juice and stir to dissolve.
3. Remove from the heat and add the cranberry juice, stirring to combine. Pour the apple-cranberry juice into the mould and leave to cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours, or until firm.
4. While the first layer is setting, pour the orange juice, pomegranate juice and dried cranberries into a pot and heat gently. Once boiling, remove from the heat and set aside for 30 minutes for the cranberries to plump.
5. Place about a quarter of the orange-pomegranate juice (without cranberries) in a small saucepan. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and dissolve the rest of the gelatine powder in the hot juice. Remove from the heat and stir into the rest of the orange-pomegranate juice. Set aside for 10–20 minutes to cool.
6. Remove the mould from the fridge and carefully pour the orange-pomegranate juice over the apple-cranberry jelly. Place in the fridge for another 4–5 hours until set.
To assemble the dish:
1. Take the ice cream out of the freezer 30 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
2. Unmould the jelly and scoop the ice cream into the centre. Top with granadilla pulp and fresh mint and serve immediately.
Wine suggestion: Ginger adds personality to this delicate dessert, so a wine of precision and freshness like a Rosé Methode Cap Classique from Stellenbosch will be perfect.
Cook’s note: You can make the jelly a day or two in advance. Once set, cover with a lid or clingwrap and refrigerate.
This recipe serves 8.
RECIPE: OLIVE HAMILTON RUSSELL