There’s no need to bring a bottle when Andrew and Rozy Gunn of Iona Vineyards (iona.co.za) invite you over for a meal
- 4 egg yolks
- 60ml caster sugar
- 250ml cream
- 375ml full cream milk
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 generous pinch saffron, plus extra for garnish
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 stick cinnamon
1. Beat the eggs yolks with half the sugar until pale and creamy.
2. Heat the cream, milk and spices in a saucepan until steaming, but don’t allow the mixture to boil. Remove from the heat and leave for 20 minutes to allow the spices to infuse.
3. Strain the liquid into the yolk mixture, beating constantly. Transfer back into a clean pot and heat gently, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
4. Plunge the pot into a basin of ice-cold water and stir continuously to cool the mixture as quickly as possible, then refrigerate until it’s well chilled.
5. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively pour it into a container and place in the freezer; freeze for an hour, remove and crush any ice crystals that have formed with a fork. Repeat this step twice more, then leave it in the freezer until ready to serve.
6. Garnish with a few strands of saffron just before serving.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.