Brothers-in-law Rodger Gilson and Johan Billman have perfected the art of making their own shiraz, Rohan Roi (rohanroi.co.za) – in a converted pigeon coop in Pretoria! While both have a passion for food, Johan is also a chef and owner of Van Wouw Catering (083 651 4235)
- 50g cake flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- 100ml honey
- 6 egg whites
- extra butter, for greasing
- 10g castor sugar
- icing sugar, to dust
- fresh mint and ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sift the flour, ground almonds and icing sugar into a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate, butter and honey together and stir into the almond mixture. Mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a spotlessly clean mixing bowl, until stiff. Gently fold a third of the egg white into the chocolate mixture. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites until just combined.
- Grease six soufflé dishes or ramekins with a little extra butter and then dust with castor sugar. Shake out the excess. Pour the mixture into the dishes and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 20–25 minutes.
- Once baked, sprinkle with icing sugar, garnish with a sprig of mint and serve immediately with ice cream.
This recipe serves 6.
RECIPE: RODGER GILSON AND JOHAN BILLMAN