Brothers-in-law Rodger Gilson and Johan Billman have perfected the art of making their own shiraz, Rohan Roi (rohanroi.co.za) – in a converted pigeon coop in Pretoria! While both have a passion for food, Johan is also a chef and owner of Van Wouw Catering (083 651 4235)
- 1 packet green asparagus spears, trimmed
- 50ml olive oil
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips
- 5ml fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 punnets baby corn
- 1 packet baby marrows, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler
- 20g sesame seeds
- salt and milled black pepper
1. Cook the asparagus spears in water. Do not overcook them, they must still be firm. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a little of the olive oil in a large pan or wok and fry the carrots, ginger and baby corn for 2–3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a plate. Add a little more olive oil to the wok and fry the baby marrow until just cooked.
3. Return all the vegetables to the wok and add the sesame seeds. Cook for 1 minute and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.