Cupcakes are a favourite teatime treat and they’re super easy to make – simply follow the below recipes taken from the latest cookbooks
- 100g softened butter
- 2.5ml vanilla paste or 5ml vanilla essence
- 115g castor sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 160g self-raising flour
- 30ml milk
Chocolate ganache icing
- 250ml cream
- 400g dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
- 100g Nutella
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases.
To make the cupcake batter
1. Place all the ingredients into a cake mixer and beat until soft and fluffy. Spoon the batter into the paper cases.
1. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. While the cupcakes are baking, make the icing.
Making the chocolate ganache icing
1. Place the cream in a small saucepan over low heat and scald (heat until just before boiling).
2. Add the chocolate chunks, stir until the chocolate has melted and you have a smooth ganache.
3. Set aside to cool completely.
Assembling the cupcakes
1. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
2. Using a small serrated knife, cut a nest out of each cupcake. Soften the Nutella slightly in the microwave and spoon into the nests, and then ice the cupcakes with chocolate ganache.
Cook’s tip: Ice the ganache in a swirling motion ending with a peak, to create height, and top with some blueberries if you prefer. With the thinner paper cases, the butter in the cupcake batter can seep through the paper case and ruin it. I often place a fresh paper case around the one the cupcake was baked in. This gives the best finished look.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes