Renowned chef Philippe Wagenfuhrer (082 085 2883) serves up a gourmet feast
- 125g butter
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 200g Nutella or similar chocolate and hazelnut spread
- 5 medium-sized eggs, separated
- 150g muscavado sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 120ml creme fraiche, to serve
- Butter, then flour a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Melt the butter, dark chocolate and chocolate spread in a bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy; fold in the chocolate mixture and ground almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl, until firm peaks form, then delicately fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes until cooked and slightly set (must be wet). Allow to cool and set for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve a wedge of cake with a dollop of crème fraiche.
- Wine suggestion: A Noble Late Harvest such as Rudera Chenin Blanc NLH makes an excellent match.
This recipe serves 10.