Renowned chef Philippe Wagenfuhrer (082 085 2883) serves up a gourmet feast
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 10ml olive oil
- 10ml honey
- 30g Jerusalem Toffee (oven-dried dates from Nature’s Choice)
- 150g cabanossi dried sausage*, sliced
- 150g matured gorgonzola
- 250g rocket or micro salad leaves, washed
- 30g spring onions, sliced on an angle
- 50g wasabi green peas*
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g pesto and balsamic glaze, to serve (optional)
For the dressing:
- 15ml Dijon mustard
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 150ml lemon-infused olive oil
1. Caramelise the sunflowers seeds with the olive oil and honey in a frying pan for 2–3 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Finely slice the Jerusalem toffee and the dried sausage, break the gorgonzola into chunks and wash the rocket or salad leaves.
3. Arrange all of the salad ingredients on individual serving plates, using your senses to balance the dish.
4. Whisk the dressing ingredients together (do not season) and drizzle over the salad.
5. Garnish with tiny spoonfuls of the pesto and drops of balsamic glaze dotted around the edge of the plate.
*Chef’s notes and tips:
• Wasabi green peas can be found in the dry food section of supermarkets or in Asian speciality stores.
• Cabanossi can be found at most supermarkets and delis. Alternatively, substitute with chorizo or another smoked dried sausage.
• To crisp your rocket leaves, wash them about two hours prior to serving and put in the fridge.
Wine suggestion: Chenin Blanc or a dry Rosé.
This recipe serves 8 – 10.