Last updated on 4 Oct 2018
This orange syrup cake, from For Friends & Family, by Nicky Stubbs, R385, (Human & Rousseau), is delicious served warm with your favourite cuppa
(Taken from Cook with Ina Paarman)
- 500g butter, at room temperature
- 400g sugar
- 5 extra large eggs
- 10ml grated orange rind
- 450g cake flour
- 15ml baking powder
- 2,5ml salt
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 190ml milk
For the orange syrup
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 125ml sugar
- 100g butter
- Grated orange rind
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a standard cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric beater until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, beating well after each one. Add the grated orange rind.
- Sift the dry ingredients twice. Add the vanilla essence to the milk.
- Alternately fold the dry ingredients and the milk into the creamed mixture. Do not stir too much but make sure the batter is blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour until the cake is firm to the touch and a needle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin. Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack placed over a large plate.
- Mix all the ingredients for the syrup in a bowl and microwave or heat in a saucepan until boiling and the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cake. Any syrup that drips onto the plate can be drizzled over again.