Good food, great company and a stylish table is what you can expect when Gwyneth Smith of Verve Marketing (031 312 7692) invites you for a meal at her Durban home
For the spicy roasted nuts:
- 200g assorted whole raw nuts
- 1 egg white
- 15ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 5ml Robertsons crushed chillies
- 5ml Robertsons paprika
- 5ml sea salt
- zest of 1 lemon
For the marinated olives:
- 125ml olive oil
- peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 30ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5ml Robertsons Italian Herbs
- 5ml Robertsons Rosemary
- 30ml sugar
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 x 100g packets of olives (black and green), drained
To make the spicy nuts:
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Beat the egg white into soft peaks. Fold in the nuts until they are coated and spread evenly on a baking tray.
3. Combine the spices and lemon zest. Sprinkle over the nuts.
4. Bake for 10–15 minutes until dry and golden brown.
To make the marinated olives:
1. Combine all the ingredients except the olives.
2. Mix in the olives and leave to marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight.