Cooking challenges are part of the fun when food marketer Judy Sendzul of Omega Foodworks (omegafoodworks.com) and her friends get together
For the cheese platter:
- an assortment of cheeses (Judy’s selection from Dalewood Cheeses included various types of brie and
- Camembert as well as their artisanal cheeses Huguenot and Lanquedoc)
- green fig preserve
- hard-boiled quail eggs, unshelled
For the sticky nuts:
- 400g mixed raw nuts
- 200g white sugar
- 5ml cinnamon
- 5ml ginger spice
- 50g white sesame seeds
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To prepare the sticky nuts: place the nuts on a baking tray. Mix the sugar with the cinnamon, ginger, sesame seeds, lemon zest and salt and sprinkle over the nuts. Roast them for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes until they are toasted.
3. Remove the nuts from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the lemon juice; stir the juice through the nuts and return them to the oven for about 10 minutes to dry out. Once the nuts have dried out, remove them from the oven and allow to cool; store in an airtight container until needed.
4. To serve: arrange the cheeses, hard-boiled quail eggs, nuts and a little bowl of the green fig preserve on a platter.
This recipe serves 10.