Good food, great company and a stylish table is what you can expect when Gwyneth Smith of Verve Marketing (031 312 7692) invites you for a meal at her Durban home
- 100g butter
- 3-4 medium-sized red onions, finely sliced
- 15ml brown sugar
- 30–40ml balsamic cream
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 roll puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150–175g Gorgonzola
- generous handful rocket
1. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onions, brown sugar and balsamic cream. Sauté the onions until soft and caramelised. Season to taste.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
3. Roll out the pastry into a rectangle. Demarcate a 1cm-wide border around the edge and brush with the beaten egg.
4. Spread the caramelised onions evenly over the rest of the pastry (within the border) and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove from the oven 2–3 minutes before the end of the cooking time and crumble the gorgonzola over the top of the tart.
5. Return to the oven until the Gorgonzola just begins to melt. Serve immediately with wild rocket strewn on top.
This recipe serves 6–8.