For the coconut crèmes
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 x 397g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1 x 410g coconut milk
- 250ml cream
- 2ml vanilla extract
- 10ml fresh ginger, finely grated
For the caramel sauce
- 60g butter
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 30ml cream or milk
- pulp of 1 granadilla
- coconut shavings, toasted (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
2. To make the coconut crèmes, place the eggs and egg yolks in a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a pan and heat until just below boiling point.
4. Pour the hot mixture over the eggs and mix well.
5. Strain the mixture into 6 ovenproof serving dishes and stand in a roasting pan. Pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups.
6. Bake in the oven for 40–45 minutes, or until the crèmes are firm, but the centres are still slightly wobbly. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
7. To make the caramel sauce, place the butter and brown sugar in a small pan, heat gently, stirring until the butter and sugar have dissolved.
8. Add the cream or milk and mix well.
9. Stir in the granadilla pulp and cook for 2–3 minutes. Allow to cool.
10. Spoon the sauce over the coconut crèmes before serving and decorate with toasted coconut shavings, if desired.