Sarah Wilson’s, I Quit Sugar: Simplicious, R475, (Pan MacMillan SA), will help kick-start a fresh and healthy approach to the new year. It’s packed with easy recipes that include one-pan wonders and using up leftovers, and use less sugar and processed food
- 2 aubergines, each cut into 5 rounds
- ¼t sea salt
- 200g ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- 1½ cups sugar-free tomato passata
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 bunch tenderstem broccoli (or 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Lightly season the aubergine with salt and place on the tray in a single layer
- Bake for 15minutes until the aubergine is beginning to turn golden brown.
- Select the two largest aubergine slices and turn them over.
- Layer with some mozzarella, sugar-free tomato passata and Parmesan.
- Take the two next-largest slices and repeat the layering, finishing with the sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Arrange the broccoli around the stacks.
- Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
*Add a cooked basic meatball or two squashed, between the layers.
This recipe serves 2