- 2 cups cake flour
- 30ml ground almonds
- 10ml baking powder
- 3ml salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 180ml cream
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 30ml lemon juice
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 30ml icing sugar
- 250g crème fraiche
- 5ml orange blossom water (optional) 10ml finely grated orange zest
- fresh mango or nectarine slices, or an apricot compote
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and flour a 24cm bundt cake tin or a spring form pan.
- Place the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the cream, and carefully and gently fold into the creamed egg mixture.
- Add the cooled, melted butter, lemon juice and zest and vanilla extract and gently fold into the mixture, until it is just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40–50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- Mix the icing sugar, crème fraiche, orange blossom water (optional) and orange zest together.
- Lightly dust the cake with a sifting of icing sugar before serving at room temperature with the sweetened crème fraiche and fresh fruit.