This winter, treat your guests to these easy-to-make crispy delights
FOR THE GRILLED CHICKEN:
- 4–6 chicken pieces
- 30ml olive oil
- 5ml sea salt flakes
- 3ml paprika
- 2ml ground black pepper
FOR THE VIETNAMESE CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 15ml oil
- 30ml fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 80ml light soy sauce
- 80g dark brown sugar
- 30ml fish sauce
- 10ml tamarind paste
FOR THE COCONUT RICE:
- 400g jasmine rice
- 1 x 400g tin coconut cream
- 500ml water
- 3ml salt
- 5ml Thai fish sauce (optional)
- desiccated coconut, toasted (optional)
- stir-fried vegetables
- To make the grilled chicken: preheat the oven to 200°C. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towel; arrange in a roasting pan.
- Pour the olive oil over the chicken and rub to coat evenly. Combine the seasoning and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Roast for 35–45 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy.
- To make the Vietnamese caramel sauce: heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the ginger and garlic for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and cook for 3–4 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Stir in the fish sauce and the tamarind paste. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the coconut rice: place the rice, coconut cream, water and salt in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Simmer, covered for 10–12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Thai fish sauce, if using.
- Serve the chicken with the caramel sauce, coconut rice (topped with toasted coconut, if desired), and stir-fried vegetables.