This quick and easy coconut chicken curry recipe from Food Stuff, by Tony Jackman, R320, (Human & Rousseau) pairs perfectly with your favourite craft beer
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Simple butter chicken curry
- 2T ghee (clarified butter)
- 1t cumin seeds
- 1t fennel seeds
- 1t black mustard seeds
- 6 cardamom seeds in their pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small onion, chopped very finely
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3–4 chicken breast fillets, sliced into strips on the diagonal
- 2–3 red chillies, finely chopped, with their seeds
- 2T lime juice
- 2T dark soy sauce
- 1 can coconut cream (not milk)
- salt to taste
- Asian noodles or basmati rice, to serve
- Melt the ghee in a wok.
- Add the jeera, fennel, mustard and cardamom seeds, as well as the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, and braise until the seeds start to crackle.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add the chicken strips and chopped chilli and stir-fry until the chicken turns creamy white all over; only a couple of minutes as you don’t want it to overcook.
- Stir in the lime juice and soy and then immediately pour in the coconut cream while stirring.
- Add salt to taste.
- Simmer, stirring, for 2–3 minutes and serve with Asian noodles or basmati rice.