This creamy chicken tikka masala tastes so good you won’t believe that it’s low-carb
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For the marinade
- 1 cup extra-thick yoghurt
- 1T fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 3T butter
- 2t olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½Tginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red chilli, minced (seeds removed if you don’t want it spicy)
- 2T tomato paste
- 2t paprika
- 1t garam masala
- 7 Roma tomatoes, diced (or 1 tin chopped peeled tomatoes)
- 1½ t salt
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cream
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. To make the marinade: mix the yoghurt, ginger and garlic and season to taste. Add the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. To make the sauce: place a large pan on medium heat then add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté until lightly browned.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomato has darkened in colour, about three minutes. Add the paprika and garam masala and sauté for another minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, salt and water. Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, take the pan off the heat and allow the sauce to cool for five minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat your grill and cover a roasting tray with foil.
6. Remove the chicken thigh chunks from the marinade and place on the tray. Place under the grill and cook for about five minutes on each side, until lightly charred and cooked through. Don’t worry if the chicken is still a little uncooked but charred on the outside it’ll cook in the sauce.
7. Blend the sauce in a food processor until smooth. Pour it back into the pan; bring it back to the boil and add the chicken. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
8. To serve: add the cream and fresh coriander, stir through and serve.
This recipe serves 4 people