Quick and easy, this two-course menu will allow you to treat your guests to a delicious meal with minimal fuss
For the Asian chicken kebabs:
- 45ml sweet chilli sauce
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 15ml soy sauce
- 15ml sesame oil
- 10ml fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cubed
For the ribbon salad:
- 2 large carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 5 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 3 baby marrows, trimmed
- 2 yellow patty pans, trimmed
- 30ml olive oil
- 5ml sesame oil
- 20ml lemon juice
- 1ml ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30ml sesame seeds, toasted
- To make the chicken marinade: combine all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a non-metallic bowl.
- Remove 30ml of this mixture and reserve for basting. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the salad: use a vegetable peeler to shave the vegetables into long, thin ribbons. Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the carrots for 2 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the vegetables and plunge them into iced water to stop the cooking process.
- To assemble the kebabs: thread the marinated chicken pieces onto 6 – 8 bamboo skewers, which have been soaked in warm water.
- Grill the kebabs in a hot oven or on the braai for 8–10 minutes per side, basting with the reserved marinade until cooked through.
- Meanwhile dress the salad: combine the olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the vegetables and toss to combine. Place them on a serving platter and garnish with the sesame seeds.
This recipe serves 4 people.