As the temperature soars, it’s time to move the cooking outdoors and onto the braai
- 400g rice pasta, cooked and drained
- 60ml olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 45ml fresh oregano or basil leaves, torn
- salt and milled black pepper
- 200g feta cheese, cubed
- 200g small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g Kalamata olives, halved
- extra 30ml olive oil
- 4 x 150g linefish or salmon fillets
- 80ml basil pesto (optional)
- To make the pasta salad: place the pasta in a mixing bowl. Add the 60ml olive or avocado oil, lemon juice and zest and fresh herbs and stir through. Season well with salt and pepper. Add the feta cheese, tomatoes and olives. Toss gently together and set aside. (The salad will be served at room temperature.)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or light a braai. Brush the fish with the 30ml olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the fish on the braai or place it on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8–12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve the grilled fish on a bed of Mediterranean rice pasta salad and spoon the pesto over the fish, if desired.
COOK’S NOTE: Add some roasted peppers and aubergine to the Mediterranean rice pasta salad for a tasty vegetarian main course.
( serves 4)