As the temperature soars, it’s time to move the cooking outdoors and onto the braai
- 1 large fresh pineapple, peeled and sliced
- 45ml brown sugar
- 20g butter
- seeds scraped from ½ vanilla pod
- 60ml honey
- 45ml rum (optional)
- 30g coconut shavings, toasted
- 40g raw pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- good-quality vanilla ice cream
- Sprinkle both sides of the pineapple with the sugar.
- Grill the pineapple on a hot braai or in a grill pan over a high heat, for 1–2 minutes per side.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the grilled pineapple, vanilla seeds, honey and rum (if using) and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the pineapple among serving plates and drizzle the pan juices over the top.
- Garnish with the coconut shavings and pistachio nuts and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
(Serves 4 )