The perfect small-batch dessert, these chocolate lava cakes treats are beautifully complemented by nougat ice cream.
Similar to chocolate lava cakes: Chocolate mousse cake
Serve them at a Valentine’s Day celebration or at a dinner party. The Le Creuset Heart-Shaped Ramekins used in this recipe are available at lecreuset.co.za.
(Makes 3 large or 4 smaller portions)
FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES
1T good quality cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
200g dark chocolate, cubed
200g butter, chopped
4 free-range eggs, whole
4 free-range egg yolks
1T vanilla extract
100g castor sugar
extra chocolate for middle
FOR THE NOUGAT ICE CREAM
150g macadamia nougat
vanilla ice cream
Related to chocolate lava cakes: Chocolate cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Grease four Le Creuset Heart-Shaped Ramekins and dust with cocoa powder.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cool for 10 minutes.
4. Whisk all the eggs, yolks and sugar until creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract and the chocolate mixture.
5. Sift in the flour and cocoa and fold in. Half-fill the ramekins with batter, then add a cube of chocolate to each and add more batter until they are two-thirds full.
6. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently touched.
7. To make the ice cream, chop the macadamia nougat into small chunks, fold through a good quality vanilla bean ice cream and place back in the freezer until set.
8. Serve the chocolate lava cakes with scoops of ice cream.