This elegant menu will provide you with all the inspiration you need for a romantic celebration.
2 x 250–300g fillet steak, cut into medallions
30ml olive oil
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
FOR THE BALSAMIC AND CHOCOLATE REDUCTION
30ml balsamic vinegar
45g dark chocolate
1 red chilli, finely
red chilli, finely
rocket or green seasonal salad
1. Brush the steak medallions with olive oil and sear on a hot griddle pan for about 3–5 minutes per side, depending on thickness and according to your liking. Transfer to a plate, season with salt and pepper and allow to rest for 5 minutes, before serving.
2. Pour the pan juices from the steak into a small frying pan and add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the gravy and chocolate, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.
4. Add chilli, if desired, or omit for a milder flavour.
5. Serve the steak topped with a drizzle of balsamic chocolate reduction.
6. Add more chilli if desired and serve with roasted potatoes and rocket or green seasonal salad.
*COOK’S NOTE Ready-made gravies are available in the pantry section (long life) or fridge section (fresh) of most large supermarkets.