This table setting by Tamyrin Lipjes from Bespoke Blooms was inspired by colour trends, specifically blue and gold. It’s a fresh theme that works wonderfully in South Africa’s hot climate over the festive season
The Christmas tree symbol is used on the table multiple times, and in different forms.
Tamyrin used potted Goldcrest trees and instead of decorating them with ornaments she scattered these on the table. She also included Christmas crackers and vases filled with flowers to create a floral table runner, instead of using an actual tablecloth. This works very well if you want to show off a beautiful table.
- Layer plates and placemats in contrasting colours and textures to create interest. I started off with a gold place mat with a latice pattern. I then used a copper base plate from @home, a duck egg blue dinner plate from MRP Home and a soft blue side plate from Trans Natal Glass in Krugersdorp.
- I added a soft blue linen napkin for a formal finish, but you can use paper serviettes if you want a more casual feel – there are so many gorgeous options available in stores.
- Add a flower or small Christmas decoration to pull the setting together. I alternated between thistles and reindeer bells (from MRP Home).
- I chose flowers to match the colour scheme; blue and green hydrangeas, thistle (or more commonly known as sea holly), blue hybrid delphiniums, a soft lilac cluster rose with a bluish undertone, potted goldcrest and a soft green potted succulent that I bought in seedling trays to add an interesting texture.
Where to shop for your festive table setting:
Tamyrin’s top tip: It’s easy to go overboard and buy everything you think could work on your setting. To avoid this write down all the elements you need and purchase only the items on your list.
- Potted Goldcrest and succulent seedlings: any nursery
- Christmas baubles: Checkers, CPS Warehouse and @home
- Bottle brush Christmas trees and copper base plates : @home
- Gold beaded Christmas trees and Christmas crackers: Checkers
- Glass bottles and vases: Trans Natal glass and MRP Home
- Wooden tree trunk slices: local tree feller
- Rose gold cutlery: Game
- Sideplates, gold punched place mats and gold hollow champagne flutes: Trans Natal glass
- Feathery butterflies: China mall
- Ribbon: Chamdor Faktry Store