There’s no need to bring a bottle when Andrew and Rozy Gunn of Iona Vineyards (iona.co.za) invite you over for a meal
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 5ml sugar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- small bunch fresh thyme
- drizzle of olive oil
- 45ml mascarpone
- a platter of washed and dried rocket leaves
- fresh basil leaves and thyme, borage or rosemary flowers, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Scatter the cherry tomatoes on a small baking tray lined with foil. Sprinkle the sugar, salt and pepper and the leaves of half the bunch of thyme over the tomatoes. Drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 20–25 minutes or until roasted and bubbling.
2. You can transfer them into a serving bowl to keep warm. Stir in the mascarpone cheese while they are still warm to create a sauce and check the seasoning. Add the remaining fresh thyme leaves. Leave to cool slightly.
3. Just before serving, ladle the warm tomatoes and their delicious sauce over the rocket and garnish with basil leaves and flowers.
This recipe serves 6.