Cooking and baking with stone fruit guarantees tasty dishes. Here are a few of our favourites
- 200g ginger biscuits, crumbed
- 100g salted butter, melted
- 5 large eggs
- 275g caster sugar
- 2t lemon zest
- 1T lemon juice
- 750g cream cheese, softened
- 1t cake flour
- 250ml double tick cream, lightly beaten
For the grilled honey buttered peaches
- 6 large peaches, halved and pitted
- 100g softened butter
- 2T runny honey
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1T brown sugar
- Line the base of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Place the biscuit crumbs into a bowl and add the melted butter.
- Mix together well and then press onto the base of the prepared cake tin. Smooth down with the back of a spoon and chill until you need it.
- Put the eggs and caster sugar in a food processor bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the cream, and mix together well.
- Fold in the cream and pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Make a collar by cutting a strip of baking paper long enough to go all the way around the cake tin (must be about 3cm higher than the top of the baking tin).
- Roll it into a cigar and unravel and place around the inside of the baking tin. Secure the ends together with a paper clip.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the baking tin.
- Bake the cheesecake for 80-90 minutes (it should have a tiny wobbly spot in the centre and, as the cake cools, the centre will firm up).
- Store covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
To make the grilled honey buttered peaches
- Place the peaches onto a baking tray.
- Cream together the butter, honey and vanilla seeds and spoon onto the peaches.
- Sprinkle with a little brown sugar and grill in a hot oven until the peaches start to bubble and turn golden brown.
To serve: arrange peaches over the top of the cheesecake and dust lightly with icing sugar before bringing it to the table.
This recipe serves 8-10 people
Recipe by Jenny Morris | South African Stone Fruit Producers Association