Prepare this simple dessert so all you need to do when your guests arrive is pour the wine and pop the meat on the braai. This blueberry cheesecake trifle is best served in glasses. Shop for the perfect glasses at consol.co.za.
FOR THE BASE:
- 80ml apple juice
- 15ml orange-flavoured liqueur, optional
- 12 Boudoir biscuits, broken in half
FOR THE BLUEBERRY COMPOTE:
- 300g frozen blueberries
- 100g blueberry jam
- 80ml water or apple juice
- lemon juice, to taste (optional)
FOR THE CHEESECAKE:
- 250g smooth cream cheese
- 60ml caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 250ml cream, whipped
- 5 ginger biscuits, crumbled
- 45ml flaked almonds, toasted
- 80g fresh blueberries
- mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- To make the base: combine the apple juice and liqueur, if using, in a small bowl.
- Briefly dip the Boudoir biscuits in the mixture and divide among 6 individual glass serving bowls.
- To make the blueberry compote: place all the ingredients in a pan and gently heat through, stirring until the jam has melted.
- Increase the heat and boil for about 3–4 minutes or until the mixture is syrupy. Allow to cool. If too sweet, add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- To make the cheesecake: place the cream cheese, caster sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl and whisk using an electric beater until the mixture is pale and smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Layer the cheesecake mixture, alternating with the blueberry mixture on top of the bases.
- Serve topped with the crumbled ginger biscuits, flaked almonds and fresh blueberries and garnish with mint leaves.