Pep up the ordinary into a flavourful culinary masterpiece with recipes from Relish by Sonia Cabano (Struik Lifestyle), R220
- 500g soft dried apricots
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 5–6 star anise flowers
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 cups (750ml) brandy
- Layer the fruit and spices in sterilised jars and cover with brandy.
- Screw on the sterilised lids and leave to stand in a cool dark place for at least one month before serving.
*Will last up to six months once opened.
- Try preserving the apricots in gin, vodka or a fortified wine, such as white muscadel.
- Un-sulphured, dried, organic apricots give the best results, although they might be darker in colour than sulphured ones.
- Serve with cheese, in baked puddings or chopped up and stirred into thick cream, mascarpone or ice cream.
- Drain some apricots and dip them in melted dark chocolate for an after-dinner treat with coffee. You can even serve small nips of the leftover spiced brandy as a digestive after a meal.
This recipe makes ± 2 cups (500ml)