Stone fruits are at their best right now. This is one of our favourite fresh peach recipes as it includes plums and nectarines to add a pop of sweetness and colour to summer meals. Try this recipe from beautifulcountrybeautifulfruit.com this summer
- 2 South African plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 South African peaches, pitted and sliced
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 1T caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- 1t vanilla extract
- 20g butter
- 2 thick wedges panettone or brioche
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Add the plums, peaches, orange zest and juice to a large saucepan. Add 50ml water and the sugar. Heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
2. Beat together the egg, milk and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl.
3. Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Dip each piece of panettone or brioche into the egg and milk mixture on both sides, then transfer to the frying pan to cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
4. Serve the panettone or brioche with the warm fruit spooned over the top, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
5. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar, then serve.