Claire and Fiona Ras of Sprigs The Food Shop (sprigs.co.za) present a globally inspired festive menu with an exotic twist
- 100g walnut halves
- 125g crimson raisins
- 140g butter, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 200g brown sugar
- 50ml whisky
- 175g flour
- 8ml baking powder
- 200g mascarpone
- 250g strawberries, hulled and halved
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC. Line the base of a 26cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper. Lightly grease with butter and dust with flour.
2. Tip the walnuts and raisins into a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, discarding the liquid, then return to the pan.
3. Add the butter to the pan and stir over a low heat until it has melted.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar for 30 seconds in a large bowl, then stir in the walnut mixture and the whisky. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40–50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes away clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
6. Place the cake on a plate. Spread the mascarpone over the top and scatter with the strawberries, then dust with icing sugar and serve.
This recipe serves 10.