As most of the work can be done in advance, this easy menu means you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time entertaining your friends
- 250g mixed berries (defrost if frozen)
- 100g caster sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 125ml cream
- 100g sponge finger Boudoir biscuits, broken in half
- 50g Amaretti biscuits
- 80ml apple juice
- 45ml Frangelico or Amaretto (optional)*
- 50g white chocolate shavings
- Place the berries, half the sugar and the lemon zest in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Place the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is pale, light and fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone and cream until thick. Set aside.
- Place a layer of the Boudoir and Amaretti biscuits in 4 individual serving dishes. Mix the apple juice and Frangelico or Amaretto together*. Drizzle some of the mixture over the biscuits.
- Spoon some of the berries on top of the biscuits. Then spoon on some of the mascarpone mixture.
- Repeat the process, adding another layer of biscuits, fruit and mascarpone. Reserve a few Amaretti biscuits and berries for garnish. Chill for 2–3 hours.
- Serve the trifles garnished with white chocolate shavings and the reserved berries and Amaretti biscuits.
*Cook’s notes: If you’d like to leave out the alcohol, replace the Amaretto with more apple juice. Amaretti biscuits can be found in most large supermarkets and Italian delicatessens.