As most of the work can be done in advance, this easy menu means you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time entertaining your friends
FOR THE CROSTINI:
- 45ml olive oil
- 5ml crushed garlic
- 4 slices country-style bread, cut in half lengthwise
- salt and milled black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 250ml chicken stock
- 500g chicken fillets
- 2 heads cos lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 avocado pear, peeled and sliced
- 125ml Caesar salad dressing
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 80g Parmesan cheese shavings
- To make the crostini: preheat the oven to 180°C. Combine the olive oil and crushed garlic in a mixing bowl. Brush both sides of each slice of bread with the oil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5–7 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool and set aside until needed.
- To prepare the chicken: heat the chicken stock in a pan and add the chicken fillets. Bring to a simmer and poach the chicken for 10–15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Chill until required.
- When ready to serve, slice the chicken fillets. Place the lettuce in a mixing bowl and add half of the dressing. Toss well to combine.
- Arrange the lettuce on serving plates. Top with the sliced chicken, avocado pear, eggs, spring onions and anchovy fillets (optional). Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salads and top with the crostini and shavings of Parmesan cheese.
Cook’s notes: Not a fan of anchovies? Replace them with pieces of crispy bacon. As a vegetarian option, swap the anchovies and chicken for olives and strips of roasted red pepper.
( Serves 4)