There’s nothing better than the smell of biscuits baking in the oven, says decor stylist Jo Trappitt. She shares a favourite family recipe
This recipe can be easily adapted; add white chocolate chips or finish with a sprinkle of almond flakes before baking.
- 50g castor sugar
- 125g margarine, softened
- 125g self-rising flour
- 50g raw oats
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 5ml mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Using a wooden spoon, cream the softened margarine and castor sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and stir into the margarine mixture. Add the oats, vanilla essence and mixed spice (when fully combined this will form a firm mixture).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Using two teaspoons, spoon the biscuit mixture onto the tray spaced at about 3cm. Gently press down on each ball with a fork – this will allow the mixture to spread evenly when baking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Store in an airtight container.