Last updated on 10 October 2018
This summery recipe from Tasty WasteNOTS, by Sally-Ann Creed and Jason Whitehead, R320, (Human & Rousseau) is made using melt-in-your-mouth duck breasts, blueberries, mushrooms and other delicious goodies
- 2 duck breast fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 120g wild mushrooms
- 70g blueberries
- 45ml organic balsamic vinegar
- 15ml unheated raw honey
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 packet (150g) lamb’s lettuce
- 125ml lightly crushed macadamia nuts
- 2 red spring onions, finely sliced
- Score the duck fat: place the duck breast horizontally in front of you, fat side up, take a very sharp paring knife and make insertions vertically from top to bottom, as many as you can, being careful not to cut the meat right through.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the duck breasts, fat side down, without any oil or butter to a very hot pan. It should make a sizzling sound – if it doesn’t, the pan isn’t hot enough.
- As soon as the duck breast is in the pan turn down the heat to medium and allow the fat to render. Once the fat starts rendering, decant it into a bowl – this will need to be done two or three times before the fat is completely rendered. (Keep an eye not to burn the fat).
- Add the mushrooms to the side of the pan to cook in some of the rendered fat.
- When the fat sides of the breasts are brown and crispy, turn them over and fry for a further 2 minutes before removing and placing on a plate.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest for at least five minutes, then cut into thin slices.
- Also remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the blueberries and balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan, and fry for no more than 1 minute.
- Then add the blueberries and vinegar to a blender and allow to cool slightly, before adding the honey and olive oil, as well as the rendered duck fat, and blend until smooth.
- Pass through a sieve and check for seasoning.
- Slice the avocado and brush with lemon juice.
- Assemble all the salad ingredients in a bowl, toss and drizzle with some of the vinaigrette.
Serves 4 people