Delicious low-carb dishes you can whip up in a flash
FOR THE AVOCADO SOUP:
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 ripe avocados, flesh scooped out
- 15ml lemon juice
- 30ml torn basil leaves
- 10ml chopped mint leaves
- 800ml chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 60ml cream
FOR THE CANDIED BACON:
- 5ml coriander seeds
- 3ml cumin seeds
- 2ml dried red chilli flakes
- 1ml paprika
- 60ml soft brown sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- 8–12 rashers streaky bacon
- olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- lemon zest
- micro herbs
- To make the avocado soup: heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 6–7 minutes or until translucent and tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Blend in batches until smooth and creamy.
- To make the candied bacon: preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Crush the coriander and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar. Stir in the chilli flakes, paprika and soft brown sugar. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a grill and place a foil-covered baking tray underneath to catch the cooking juices. Sprinkle half the mixture over the bacon and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the bacon over and top with the remaining spice mixture. Return to the oven and cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve the soup chilled, topped with a swirl of olive or avocado oil, lemon zest, some micro herbs and the candied bacon.
COOK’S TIP: You can make this soup the day before. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the surface and keep it in the fridge in a container with a tight-fitting lid until ready to use.