Potatoes can easily feature as the main ingredient in a variety of dishes. Here we share a few interesting recipes, from Potatoes South Africa
FOR THE PANCAKES:
- 250g floury potatoes, cubed or 200g leftover mash potato
- 25g butter, softened
- 30ml oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, whisked until a stiff peak forms
- 4T self-raising flour
- 6t milk
- 2t chives, chopped
- 4t sour cream
- 200g cold smoked trout slices
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender (for about 25 mins), drain and then steam for 5 minutes.
2. Mash the cooked potatoes until smooth.
3. Beat in the butter, chives and egg yolks, and then fold in the flour until well combined.
4. Gradually add enough cream to loosen the mashed potato mixture to a smooth batter.
5. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Carefully fold the whisked egg whites into the potato pancake batter until well combined.
7. Heat a knob of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the butter is foaming, add 6 spoons of the potato pancake batter mixture to the pan, making sure to leave space between each spoonful.
8. Fry the potato pancakes for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until risen and golden-brown on both sides.
9. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter mixture.
10. To serve, place three potato pancakes into the centre of each of four serving plates. Arrange the smoked salmon slices on top, then drizzle with sour cream and sprinkle with chives.
This recipe serves 4 people