Bernice Morrell, owner of Morrells Boutique Wedding and Conference Venue (morrells.co.za), is famous for making her client’s celebrations a memorable experience. Here’s her menu for a light summer lunch
For the herb butter:
- 60ml butter, softened
- 30ml chives, chopped
- 30ml flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1ml salt
For the bread:
- 490g cake flour
- 10g packet dry yeast
- 15ml sugar
- 5ml salt
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 365ml water, lukewarm
- 30ml oil
To top the breads:
- coarse sea salt
- 30g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1. To make the herb butter: combine all the ingredients together. Cover and chill until required.
2. Place half the flour in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Add the yeast, sugar, salt and Parmesan cheese. Pour the water and oil over the flour mixture, turn the mixer on and knead for 3 minutes. Gradually add the remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
3. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C°. Take a small amount of dough and roll it into a ball about the size of a golf ball. Place in a small, greased earthenware or terracotta pot and sprinkle with some of the coarse salt and Parmesan topping. Repeat with the remaining dough, filling 10–12 pots.
5. Bake for about 15–20 minutes or until the breads are golden brown.
This recipe makes 10 – 12 pot breads.
RECIPE: BERNICE MORRELL