Mariëtte Coetzee of Coco Bella (cocobella.co.za), a Cape patisserie, tends to over cater when she entertains. But it’s just as well because with such delicious fare on offer who could resist a second helping?
- 2 medium fennel heads
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 10ml sumac, plus extra for garnish
- 60ml lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 45ml tarragon leaves, chopped
- 15ml fennel leaves, chopped
- 30ml flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 small radicchio leaves broken apart
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 120g Greek feta, roughly crumbled
1. Remove the leaves from the fennel, keeping a few for garnish. Cut into very thin slices.
2. Mix together the olive oil, sumac, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper. Add the fennel slices and toss well.
3. Place the dressed fennel, radicchio leaves, pomegranate seeds and the feta in a salad bowl. Pour over any remaining olive oil and lemon mixture, garnish with the reserved fennel leaves and parsley and sprinkle with a little sumac.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.