Last updated on 14 October 2016
Fabulous flavours for easy alfresco entertaining
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and
- thinly sliced
- 30ml butter
- 5ml paprika or smoked paprika
- 2ml cayenne pepper
- 200g long grain rice
- 45ml dry sherry or dry white wine
- 450ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 20–24 clams, cleaned
- 12–16 medium prawns, cleaned and butterflied
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g green olives, pitted
- and sliced
- 30ml chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 15ml chopped dill or fennel
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- salt and milled black pepper
- lemon wedges
- Heat a wide pan and dry fry the chorizo for 1–2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the pan to the stove and add the olive oil, onion and garlic and gently fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, paprika and cayenne pepper. Increase the heat, add the rice and sherry or wine and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer, covered, for 10–15 minutes or until the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the clams and prawns, cover the pan and cook for 5–6 minutes. Discard any clam shells that haven’t opened.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for a further 2 minutes, adjust the seasoning and serve at once with lemon wedges.