For passionate foodie Junelle Germishuizen of Pretoria, cooking with her family and entertaining friends at home is a natural extension of her online food business
- pinch saffron strands or turmeric
- 45ml hot water
- 120g butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 5ml ground coriander
- 2ml ground cinnamon
- 1ml ground cardamom
- 250ml water
- 125g caster sugar
- zest of 2 oranges, cut into thin strips
- 75g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 50g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 300g basmati rice, cooked and drained
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
TO SERVE (optional):
45ml assorted micro greens
30ml pomegranate rubies
orange segments, chopped
- Soak the saffron strands in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a wide pan and fry the onions over a low heat for 1 minute. Add the carrots, coriander, cinnamon and ground cardamom and cook for 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in the saffron mixture, 250ml water, caster sugar and orange zest and bring to the boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes.
- Add the almonds and pistachio nuts, reserving a little of each for garnish. Stir in the rice, season with the salt and pepper and toss to combine and to heat through.
- Serve hot, topped with the reserved nuts and any of the optional garnishes.
This recipe serves 6 people