For Italians Ilaria Guidi and Alberto Tombini of Cape Town, the best way to entertain friends is around a dinner table with a selection of simple, wholesome dishes
- 3 eggs
- 150ml plain yoghurt
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g light brown sugar
- 275g cake flour, sifted
- 15ml baking powder
- 6 fresh strawberries or handful goji berries, chopped
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the eggs, yoghurt and sunflower oil together in a bowl with a hand blender.
- Add the sugar, flour and baking powder and mix until the dough is smooth. Add the strawberries or the goji berries.
- Pour the dough into a greased cake tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled, dust the top with icing sugar and serve.
COOK’S NOTE: After dinner serve a nice espresso coffee.
This recipe serves 4 people
ILARIA’S TIPS FOR ITALIAN COOKING
- Always use fresh ingredients, never tinned.
- Use small round Bella tomatoes as they are the sweetest.
- The cooking time for pasta is very important. Never overcook.
- Simple is best. Don’t smother things with sauces.
- Use sugar only in desserts and then very sparingly.