Delicious dessert recipes from Tru-Cape
- 4 apples (preferably Golden Delicious)
- 4 large pears (preferably Bon Chretien)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 250g sugar
- juice of 3-4 large oranges or 375ml fresh orange juice
- zest of ½ orange, finely grated
- ½t vanilla extract
- 2 drops almond essence
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2T fresh ginger, finely sliced (optional)
- 500ml double cream plain yoghurt (optional, to serve)
- 60ml ricotta cheese (optional, to serve)
- 60ml blue cheese (optional, to serve)
- Peel apples, remove core and cut in half horizontally. Peel pears, cut in half and remove core.
- Place fruit in a bowl of water with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Drain and arrange in neat rows in a deep ovenproof baking dish (the fruit should fit snugly in one layer).
- Mix half of the sugar with the orange juice, orange zest and essences. Pour this mixture over the fruit, then sprinkle the remaining half of sugar over the top.
- Place the cinnamon and ginger between the fruit. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 180°C for about 30 minutes or until fruit has softened but still retains shape.
- Remove the foil and place under a hot oven grill until the fruit are glazed and very lightly charred. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To serve: spoon fruit into wide, shallow soup plates and pour syrup over. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt – or yoghurt mixed with equal parts ricotta cheese and blue cheese and then frozen for an hour or two.
Recipe credit: Fresh & Healthy, Annette Kesler