Miranda and Christophe Dubois of L’Epis Dore French Bakery and Cafe, enjoy entertaining friends at long lunches that are simple yet delicious
- 20g butter
- 90g caster sugar
- 500g frozen berries
- 200ml water
- 2 vanilla pods
- 400g smooth cottage cheese
- 500g strawberries, sliced
- 8 sablé (shortbread) biscuits
- 15ml icing sugar, toasted almonds and mint leaves, to garnish
1. Heat butter, 50g caster sugar, berries and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Allow to cool, then purée until smooth. Pass the mixture through a sieve to form a smooth coulis.
2. For the creamy topping: scrape the seeds from the vanilla pods and place them into a mixing bowl with the cottage cheese and 40g caster sugar. Mix well to combine.
3. To serve, place a sablé in the centre of each serving plate and top with spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and some freshly-sliced strawberries. Drizzle some of the berry coulis around the plate, dust with a little of the icing sugar and garnish with a mint leaf and some toasted almonds.
This recipe serves 8.