For Italians Ilaria Guidi and Alberto Tombini of Cape Town, the best way to entertain friends is around a dinner table with a selection of simple, wholesome dishes
- 12 ripe Bella tomatoes
- 300g breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 20–30ml extra virgin
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in half, removing some of the seeds. Place the tomatoes in an ovenproof serving dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix the crumbs, parsley and garlic with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and soak them in a generous amount of olive oil.
- Top the tomatoes with the soaked crumb mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add a little more olive oil to the tomatoes and bake for about 20–30 minutes, or until brown.
- Serve hot or cold as a vegetarian alternative to the chicken with pancetta.
This recipe serves 4 people