Baking with Jackie Cameron, by Jackie Cameron, R290, (Struik Lifestyle), is a compilation of this award-winning chef’s recipes. Try something a bit different like this dark carrot cake
- 140g cake flour
- 200g castor sugar
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2,5ml baking powder
- 2,5ml fine salt
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 185ml sunflower oil
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 440g tin crushed pineapple in syrup
- 55g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 65g seedless raisins
- 120g dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
- 20g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
FOR THE COCOA CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 500g plain smooth cream cheese, at room temperature
- 260g icing sugar, sifted
- 40g cocoa powder, sifted
- Sift the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and the crushed pineapple and syrup together.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Add the pecan nuts, raisins, chocolate chunks and grated carrot and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a lined and greased 22cm cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 75 minutes, or until cooked. Leave the cake in the pan to cool slightly then place on a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make the cocoa cream cheese icing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Spread thickly over the top and sides of the cake.
This recipe makes one 22cm cake